ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Team Leadership Activities: Lead team on established methodology as well as new team initiatives. Key role in ensuring that the team meets timelines and objectives provided by the business. Mentor and train the other Desktop Engineering Team members.
- Customer Service Activities: Provide strong customer service for internal IT teams as well as Business Partners. Work closely with the Server and Networking teams.
- Image Development Activities: Create, test and develop current Workstation images. Test, evaluate, and package software and applications for workstation distribution.
- Standards Development and Compliance Activities: Key role in developing corporate standards for desktop computer software and hardware and conducting reviews to ensure compliance to standards. May research tools and processes to identify usage and capacity troubles as they develop. Will present research and may assist in developing long-range plans to address problems. Conducts research and recommends new technology solutions.
- Deployment Activities: Responsible for successful deployment and upgrades of workstations.
- Systems Administration Activities: Perform computer management and system administration activities.
- Incident Management Activities: Serves as an escalation point for the Helpdesk and Desktop Support.
The job of a desktop engineer is to solve technical problems of a computer user. Their job is to make the computer user comfortable. As a new engineer your job is to assemble and install the desktop, keeping all the system up to date with security fixes and patches, and helping out users to do their job more easily. Their job is to train the user when a new software or other new IT regulation comes.
The job of a desktop engineer is relaxed at times and complex at times.
In this sector number of vacancies are increasing day by day. A desktop engineer position is divided into three level.
Level 1 is trainee. At this level engineers has to perform some simple jobs like installing and operating system, helping users and other easier jobs like assembling computer.
Level 2 is of Desktop engineer. They are involved in keeping the computer network upto date with essential patches, perform small tasks on server and interact with various vendors.
Level 3 is of the System Administrator. They are the lead engineer. They are responsible for everything related to computers and the network. They mainly involves performing tasks on the server, interaction with other department or updating the entire network with critical changes.
In this profession, salary will depend on your experience, attitude, education qualifications, the company's policies and your capability. Certification like MCSE, CCNA etc. can be of great help.
In India, as a desktop engineer you can earn from Rs 120,000-660,000 annualy depending on your post.
If you want to be a desktop engineer, certainly you should upgrade yourself with new technologies and try to improve your skills.